• Home
  • News

If you already have your Ecuador visas, and are frequent travelers in and out of the country, the 90-day rule applies starting from the date on your VISA. For the first two years of residency, you are allowed to be out of the country NO MORE THAN 90-days within each 12-month period. But, be advised that the Ecuadorian Government’s Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriors y Movilidad (Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Human Mobility), has the sole discretion to revoke your Ecuador visas, if you are within days or even hours of overextending your stay.

Many people think they are within the 90-days, only to find out that they didn’t count the travel days correctly. If you plan to leave the country, and you are not sure of your prior movements, we can help you get an updated Certificate of Migratory Movement, which shows your comings and goings to and from Ecuador.

Visa Rule

To reiterate, for the first two years, a person cannot be out of the country for more than 90-days each 12-month period, but starting from the third year forward, a person can leave the country for as much as 18 months at one time, and not lose their Visa. For example, in the third year a person can leave for 16 months, return to Ecuador for a few days, and have another 18 months available to leave the country.

For Citizenship

Regardless of how you used your days for the Visa rule, you can apply for citizenship after living in Ecuador for three years from the date on your CEDULA. And, during those three years, even if you didn’t lose your Visa status, the application can still be denied for exceeding 90-days during the three year period. Once you have been a resident of Ecuador for three years or more, you can apply for citizenship, which allows you freedom to travel out of the country as often as you like. However, when applying for citizenship, the Ecuadorian Government will want to see that you spent NO MORE THAN 90 days outside the country during the three years. During the citizenship interview they will ask you a few simple questions, and have you fill out a form with your personal data, so basic understanding and knowledge of Spanish is required. Gringo Visas can help you obtain the necessary documents and requirements needs for your citizenship.

Go to the Expat Visa Experts

Gringo Visas is committed to obtaining your Ecuadorian Residency Visa – fast, easy and affordable by doing what we do best, nothing but Visas.

As the only Visa service provider with offices both in Ecuador (Cuenca and Quito), and in the United States, Gringo Visas bilingual staff, including legal counsel, is positioned to help you obtain your Visa.

If you’re ready to apply for your Visa, or Citizenship, please fill out our Client Profile on the Contact page of our website or contact us at info@ Tel: In Ecuador 098 915 3622 in the Unites States 203 947 9853. Check us out on Facebook and YouTube.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *