What you need to know before bringing your pet (dog or cat) into Ecuador.
When bringing your domesticated pet(s) (dog or cat) with you, there are very simple procedures to follow, and I have helped many happy clients bring their pets to Ecuador. If you follow the EXACT instructions, there will be no problem clearing customs with your pets when you arrive.
First, check your Pet’s vaccination booklet with your pre-existing veterinarian in your home country. It must show that your domesticated pet has all age-appropriate vaccines, and ticks and tapeworm tests provided by the same veterinarian. These are internationally respected vaccines that are enforceable under law around the world.
For each pet, there is a form to complete with the Airline you choose to fly with. Rules about flying with pets differ between airlines, so read their pet policies before booking your flight(s). Call the airline to have them send you an email or provide you with the most current form and instructions. This form MUST BE FILLED OUT at least 10 days before your flight departure, and have the respective approval issued before your pets can fly with you.
Check with your Airline(s) for your trip to Ecuador to see which connections permit pets, as this changes regularly based on your final destination city in Ecuador. Be sure to ask your airline as they will know the best connections for the place(s) and date(s) you are traveling to Ecuador with any pets!
IMPORTANT! Airlines may have separate and additional requirements. Check with your airline to determine what requirements they may have, if any.
Following is a detailed explanation. This is the technical information that your Vet should already know:
Regulations for bringing a pet (dog or cat) into Ecuador
Ecuador does NOT quarantine healthy dogs and cats who meet the following requirements:
- Your pet (for dogs or cats) must have a current rabies vaccination administered between 60 days and 12 months prior to entry into the country.
- A USDA (or CFIA) accredited veterinarian must complete the Veterinary Certificate for Ecuador within 10 days of travel for endorsement by the USDA or CFIA if traveling from the United States or Canada. If you are NOT traveling from either the US or Canada, the Governing Authority of your country responsible for the import and export of animals should endorse the forms.
- Ticks & Tapeworm test must be administered within 21 days prior to travel.
To bring your dogs you will need to ask your airline which documents they require and send an email to the office in charge in the airport to inform them of your dog’s arrival.
For entry into Ecuador with your pet:
You MUST obtain the Zoo-Sanitary Export Certificate (Animal Health Certificate) for your dog, and or cat granted by a USDA Accredited Veterinarian if you live in the US, or an appropriate agency in the country of origin, in Spanish, detailing the fulfillment of the sanitary requirements demanded by Ecuador.
When the animal arrives, there are three options for entering the country:
1. If the dog or cat arrives in the cabin of the plane with the passenger, you will not need to obtain the Zoo-Sanitary Import Permit, but they MUST present the USDA Animal Health Certificate, also known as the Zoo-Sanitary Export Certificate.
- If your pet is delivered together with your luggage in the International Arrivals area, you will only be nationalized by presenting the Animal Health Export Certificate issued by your Accredited Veterinarian of the country of origin.
- If your pet is taken to a cargo warehouse, the owner must deliver to the AGROCALIDAD technician the Zoo-Sanitary Export Certificate issued by the Accredited Veterinarian of the country of origin, and the *Proof of Deposit for $ 26.21 dollars for the inspection of each animal, and for the issuance of the Zoo-Sanitary Import Permit and the Customs Destination Document for subsequent nationalization by SENAE (customs). A clinical inspection of the dog, and or cat by an AGROCALIDAD technician is required upon entering Ecuador.
*Cash payments will NOT be accepted. All procedures will be attended to with the presentation of the *Proof of Deposit slip, and for the value that reflects the current rate of $26.21 per animal.
Whether your port of entry is Guayaquil (GYE) or Quito (UIO), you must SEND an email in Spanish* with the following information either to firstname.lastname@example.org
Name (as it appears on your passport) ______ and Passport No. ______
Flight No. ______ and Airline ______ Date and Time of your arrival ____
Good day, my name is ______, a citizen of the United States, and I am entering Ecuador with one (or two) pets.
Pet 1 (repeat if more than one Pet 2)
Pet is traveling in: Cabin ____ Storage hold ____
*Sample email in Spanish
Buenos días, mi nombre es ________ ciudadana de los Estados Unidos y estoy entrando a Ecuador con una o dos mascotas.
Altura 24.23 cm
Peso 2.4 kg
Viaje en cabina con nosotros (Travel in cabin with us)
Información de vuelo (Flight information)
Copa Airlines arribamos a Guayaquil el Martes 29 de Marzo, 2021, a las 5:47 PM. Número de vuelo CM 000
Tenemos los certificados de sus vacunas al día (We have all of the vaccination certificates in order)